Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Oh Please, Don't Be a Wine-er

It is officially May, which means I am officially down to my last month in Scotland, which is officially UNBELIEVABLE. Officially.

What a journey it has been. From the first day I arrived and wandering in search of my chalet to the countless pub nights, bus trips, and camera downloads, I wish I could hold onto every memory. Thank goodness for technology, because I'm not sure it's possible. With May now underway, I'm right in the middle of my last week of classes. Officially, my last was today, and what a way to end my British (aka Scottish) education.

Because it was our last class (incidentally it happened to be my Creative Writing class), my professor decided it would be very informal. Notice I said "very". As he said, we would sit around the class reading poetry--pieces we had written as well famous ones we liked--and drink wine. Yes, that is correct, I said drink wine. I forgot that he was serious about the wine bit and showed up to the afternoon class on a nearly empty stomach. I'll tell you one thing: I don't think I've ever been tipsy at 3:00 in the afternoon after two glasses of red wine. I kept glancing at my classmates going "this kind of thing would NEVER happen in an American university." Their response to my wide eyed comments?......

"It's Scotland."

Well, that certainly clarifies things. Overall, though it was a lovely afternoon of listening to entertaining and often heartfelt poetry, and I'm really going to miss this professor. I had him last term for a class called 'Writing the Short Story' and he gave me some great tips on improving my stories. I've decided that it's only in Britain where professors can get away with being inspirational and throwing around the word F*@#! like it's candy. Yes, only in Britain.

Now that classes are done, I have the rest of this week to finish up my last essay. I was lucky enough to get two of the three done last week, so after a couple of days of working on this one, I'm going to take a few last day trips. There are quite a few places on my Historic Scotland Pass I've yet to have been too, so it only makes sense to take advantage of it. There are castles within train distance that are calling out my name! I'm on my wayyyyy, I reply.

On an even more exciting note, I've also finalized the last of my travel plans for England. Next Wednesday, I'm heading down to Her Royal Majesty's Territory to visit my old flatmate Grace at her university in Hull. She's been up to Stirling a couple of times and I'm looking forward to seeing her in her own study abroad environment. After spending a few days there, I will next be heading further south to visit some amazing friends, who are relatives of my friend Amy--Gretchen, Richard, Lizzie, and Peter Dyson. I spent my Christmas holiday with them and all I can say about that is, Gretchen wasn't lying when she said she was going to be my "adopted mommy" for the year. That family truly knows how to make a person feel welcome.

While visiting with the Dysons, I will be taking a couple of day trips: one to Bath, and another to London. I can't describe how excited I am for both of these occasions. As for Bath, it's the type of place that EVERY Jane Austen-ite MUST make a pilgrimage to. Also the site of the historic Roman Baths that were supposed to "heal" a person upon drinking (no matter if the water takes like cow poo poo), Bath also boasts the Pump Rooms (where Jane used to take tea back in her day), the Jane Austen Museum, the Fashion Museum, and the Royal Crescent (some of the greatest examples of Georgian Architecture and a very posh place to live).

I still can't believe I'm going to make it to London. Initially, I wasn't going to try and plan going there, despite wanting to, because it was so far from Wilmslow (where I'm staying with Dysons) and also because it's so expensive. It seems I cannot ever underestimate Gretchen, though. After emailing her to let her know I didn't mind missing London, she immediately responded that not only would we be going, but we were going to ride first class on the train there. It will only take two hours she told me.

???????!!!!!!!!!!!

That woman deserves the academy award for greatest hostess on the European Continent! I'm still looking into possible things I MUST see while there for the day, but I've already decided that the Victoria and Albert Museum and the Tower of London are near the top of the list. It's going to be tough to try and take it all in in one day, but the fact that I'm merely going is a rare delight. I should probably give Gretchen fair warning: when she arrives in the states with her family this upcoming summer, I'm going to throw her the most appreciative party she'll be able to handle. After all she's done for me, I can't think of anyone more who deserves it.

So there you have the ongoings of my overseas adventure at the moment. Although it's quickly winding down, I have decided this is only the first leg on an adventure through life. Taking part in this program has opened so many doors in my mind and I'm going to take full advantage of the change. I think I've finally settled into myself, so the world is forewarned: I will be taking it by storm!!!!! Sailors to your position--we've a life to explore!

Lots of love and warm wishes
xxoo

P.S. I thought I should add that the new film Xmen Orgins: Wolverine is a must see film. If only for the fact that Hugh Jackman's chest is on display for 80% of the movie, that should have you rushing to the theater. I'd suggest a drool napkin as well. You'll understand better after seeing it :)

No comments: