What a week it has been. From Monty Python to Star Trek, this last week has been one of movie mania interspersed with travel preparations. Now the day has arrived where I'll be off to England for the week. Someone better warn the Queen :)
This last Saturday, as a final celebration for finishing my papers and Scottish university in general, Alicia and I made a day trip to a little town called Doune. When I first mentioned it to Alicia, her immediate response was a resounding LET'S GO THERE (in caps as well I might add). It turns out that major scenes from Monty Python and the Holy Grail were filmed at the castle there, so it was a pilgrimage of sorts for her. As Saturday morning rolled around we were lucky enough to get POURING RAIN as our lovely weather for the day--which you'll be able to see from the new photos I've posted. Nonetheless, we made the twenty minute bus ride out to Doune and explored the castle a bit. I used my video camera to record some video and I'm still trying to figure out how to get on the computer, so I'll try to get that up as soon as I can.
After getting to know the castle and mimicking lines from the film, we stopped at a quaint cafe called The Gingham Cafe which was decorated (no way!) with lots of gingham, and had amazing homemade food. I was lucky enough to partake of a red tea with vanilla undertones. I'll tell you one thing--my taste buds were loving that. It only got better when I tasted my homemade sweet potato and leek soup. Oh, and did I mention it came with homemade bread?? Utopia, indeed.
More good news!! Lisa returned from Croatia on Sunday (with a disgustingly nice tan) and we've been playing catch up the last couple of days. After the flood waters of Saturday, the weather has been gorgeous here in Stirling (of course). There's still a breeze that rides through the air, but the sun has come out and everything is in full bloom. It's almost hard to look at without flinching. I don't think a person has really seen the colour green until they've been to Scotland. It redefines everything. To top off our reunion, Lisa, Megan, and I made it to the cinema today to catch the new film Star Trek. Now, I'm far from being what is called a "trekki" but this movie blew me away. First, I was crying ten minutes in, panting (wellll, sort of) twenty minutes later at the sight of Chris Pine in all his glory, and feeling giddy from all the action towards the end. It seriously took me surprise by how good it was. I'm not going to lie either. The actor that plays the younger Spock--Zachary Quinto I think his name is?--has charisma and a depth of emotion that makes him irresistible. Pointy ears included. Even if you're not into the science fiction genre of films, this movie just may take you by surprise as well. To top it off, Simon Peg makes an appearance in it as the character Montgomery Scott. Beam me down, Scotty!
With all that excitement, I'm now packed and ready for my trip tomorrow morning. I'll be meeting Grace at the train station in the afternoon and after that, the adventure begins! I've even found a movie buddy in her to see Seventeen Again. Thank you, Goddess, for lovely friends :) Come Saturday, I'll be heading to Wilmslow to catch up with the Dysons. The following Monday and Tuesday will see me in Bath and London, accordingly. With my camera and video in tow, it's sure to be an adventure. And don't worry Fasha, I've got my pepper spray AND your photo coming along for the ride. Nothing like that to scare weirdos off ;)
So I hope everyone has a wonderful rest of their week. I'll be back in a week (with only one week left to enjoy Scotland!!!!!!!), so keep an eye out for photos and video. Now, if only I can figure out a way for Star Trek to beam me from place to place, things would be perfectttttttt. :) :)
Lots of love and warm wishes,
xxoo
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment