I have officially decided that I AM Christmas Spirit. Someone in our chalet had to take on the responsibility and.........well, I think it's a genetic trait I can't help but embody. It's actually working out quite nicely. Ever since I've started listening to Christmas music and making everyone smell "the Christmas" in my room (due to some nicely scented holiday fragrances), our chalet has become something of an anti-Scrooge environment. I've started to hear Christmas tunes coming from Alan's room and he also has a tendency to sing them at the drop of a hat. I love how the Christmas season can affect people. Even Stuart---who I have termed our 'live-in Scrooge'--can't help but fall under the spell a little.
On that note, today turned out to be somewhat of a shopping expedition for me. I went down into town with Alicia, and we spent a lovely day browsing shops and wallowing in winter cheer. I was even able to purchase a new camera. As it turns out, the one that I ........'broke'........can't be fixed (It would be MUCH too expensive to do so anyway) so I purchased a replacement. The nicest thing about it, was that I bought the same exact camera, except it was much cheaper than the first time I purchased it in the states. The irony is palpable.
In other good news, this last week has made me love my chalet-mates even more. As I mentioned before, I am Christmas Spirit (undisputed of course), so I've been really keen on having "flatmate nights", which basically entails hanging out in the common room together, and watching DVDs on my laptop. To spice things up a little, we incorporated some mulled wine and apple crisp with vanilla ice cream one night. Even though I'm desperate for Eggnog, mulled wine is quickly turning into one of my favourite holiday beverages. All the spices and flavours in the heated wine make a person's taste buds go crazy! We were even lucky enough to have Alan make mulled wine from scratch a couple of days ago. The only thing about the beverage, though, is that it really needs to be enjoyed while hot. Once it has cooled off, the scent becomes sour and ........unpleasant. I'd suggest not learning this the hard way. Alan also has a nice collection of movies, so we were able to watch classics like The Santa Clause to get everyone in the spirit of things. It's been an enjoyable week to say the least. To top it off, A Muppet Christmas Carol will be on t.v. this evening and Lisa, Alan, and I will be glued to the screen. Classics are classic for good reason.
As far as upcoming travels go, everything is just about booked. As I sit writing this, I'm already counting down the days until Amy gets here. As far as I know, she should be on her way to San Francisco Airport about now. Only a couple of more days before I go a little crazy!! It's going to be so good to see a familiar face. It feels like her coming here will be like she's bringing a piece of home. I couldn't ask for a more treasured Christmas gift. With the exception of Eggnog of course :)
Finally, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, today happens to be a very special occasion in the Harrison Family. My baby (I'm not even sure this applies to her considering she can beat me up) sister turns 14 today. I'm sad to miss it, but she knows I'll be thinking about her. The reason I point out Ms. Cassie Sue's birthday occasion, is for a reason she knows all about. You see, Cassie had an interesting entrance into this world. She knows the story well, but perhaps some of you reading this do not. Unlike most babies, Cassie was born from a dinosaur egg. Mum happened upon the egg, fourteen years ago to the day, swallowed it, and who should be born from it but Cassie Sue herself. And you thought you were unique. Pookie outweighs us all in that department. Cass, if you're reading this, I understand how much you're loving this. I truly, truly do :) So here is a big Happy 14th Birthday to Cassie Sue!! May you celebrate this occasion in true Dinosaur Baby fashion!! Love you and miss you baby girl.
Sending warm wishes and kisses,
xxoo
P.S. As a side note for the easily impressionable, the dinosaur story is (unfortunately) a work of fiction. Even if we continue to tell Cassie otherwise to this day. It's not everyday you can be 14 and 'prehistoric' at the same time.
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment